Thursday, January 12, 2012

Here we go, jumping in

     Well it's time to get started.  I've been playing with the idea of blogging about my growing obsession with Warhammer 40k and specifically as my daughter calls them my "Little Silver Guys" for awhile now, and part of my New Year's resolution is to jump into it.  I'm a competitive wargamer in the sense that I enjoy a game where my opponent brings his best and tries to destroy me, as we fight it out to determine a winner.  To me this is fun, I'm a competitive person by nature, though I am also a huge fan of the fiction/fluff of the world.  That was in fact what got me into playing with my little guys in the first place.  I'm now after playing for the last few years hopelessly and irrevocably hooked.  So I have decided it is time to share my obsession with you, my at this time non-existent readers/fan base. (Is typing to yourself a sign of insanity, or just talking?)

      I'm planning on talking allot about tactics, as well as forcing myself to spend more time painting and building my models and terrain.  I play primarily Blood Angels, Deathwing, and Daemons, though I am flirting more with Xenos, as well as slowly bringing my Daemonhunters back to life, ie finally putting my toes in the water of the Grey Knights (I know, late to the bandwagon).  
    
  My Sanguinor throwing down with some Sisters in a recent Apoc game at Gamer's Hideout


   


    I enjoy playing, building, and painting in that order, but I am resolved to become more well rounded in this great and addictive hobby.  You can look forward to posts on terrain building of all sizes (I am currently working on a two-tiered gaming table with a friend), model conversions/painting (currently building Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons), talking tactics (I am a career Army Infantryman in real-life and love applying that knowledge where applicable), and lots and lots and lots of battle reports and pre-tournament list prepping. 

     To get it going I will be participating in a local tournament hosted at my LGS Gamer's Hideout in St. Roberts, Mo on the 21st of January.  We usually play higher point values, but for a change of pace this one will be held at 750pts.  Well, I had been hanging around and talking with some of the regulars when one of them said he wouldn't be playing in the tourney because his Eldar are not competitive and never win.  Now I am a firm believer that while your list does matter, what really determines victory or defeat is the general running it.  To make a long story short, I made a deal with him.  If he played in the tourney we would switch armies.  He could play with anyone of mine and I would play Eldar, and hopefully show him that they can in-fact win.  Before you start laughing at me or offering your condolences for my on-coming defeat, I want to spice it up by mentioning I have never played Eldar before. 

     Well I am by no means a defeatist, and in-fact love challenges.  So I have been studying and practicing, play testing and list building.  And I am going to give my best shot at this, either way though it should be a lot of fun and a nice change for me.  Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I have a fairly large selection of models to choose from, and will be posting tentative lists along with corresponding play tests soon.

     Here is the link to the missions we will be playing.  Check it out and let me know what you think, and if you are in the area come check it out, it is always a good time and there are some great guys regularly at the store. 

     Well, thanks for reading what will hopefully be the start of a lot of fun for me and you both, and if nothing else I will at least join the modern age of computers and other fancy doo-hickies.  If you haven't been able to tell yet, I am not exactly computer savvy and there is going to be learning curve attached to this endeavor.  As will always be the case comments and constructive critiques will always be welcome. 
   
    Well here we go............

No comments:

Post a Comment